Friday, August 8, 2008

History








I am sitting here watching the opening of the Olympics, which I am watching because I feel like I should. This is history being made after all. Despite the fact that I am also doing three other things at the same time (as is my way) I am overcome with a feeling of jealousy (as ugly as that word is) and awe for the history of other countries. It is amazing to realize that for example China's history has extends over a period of at least 3000 years. Their art, culture, traditions, military, dances, music, clothing, everything has come from such an extrordinary, rich history. To be able to know that your heritage is so steeped in time, must be overwhelming, and cause an overwhelming sense of pride. I have often loved to see the dances from various cultures, and just thoroughly enjoyed seeing a part of their history in action. Going to Europe, seeing cities that are centuries old, if not even older is just amazing to me. Never mind those cultures that have existed for 5000 or more years. To truly appreciate, and understand that seeming timelessness is simply incomprehensible to me.

Do not think that I do not also have a deep sense of pride in America, my country. But I think we often act as though we have existed for much longer than we have and we fail to learn and take lessons from those that have been around 10-15x longer than we have. We are such a young country, it does make me think about what it will be in 2000 years, when Americans will look back on our time now, look back at the turn of last century, our Gold Rush days, our colonial days, our "western" days and feel an overwhelming sense of history, pride and awe at what we have come through as a country.


I now watch it not because I feel like I have to, but out of amazement for what they are showing. Heck, I am now actually only doing one thing...okay maybe two. :)

No comments: