Monday, May 4, 2009


I just had to share my wonderful couple of hours that I had today thanks to a couple of my boys. I have recently shifted into the nightshift for the entire month of May to cover for the normal dispatcher while she is at Dispatch Academy. I get to take part in that joy later this year. :p Anywho, I am covering her shift and I love the guys on that shift, don't get me wrong. Two of them are my original team and one of them is just one of those people I really connect with, so they are great. But I don't get to see my boys from my shift anymore except in passing during the changing of the guard. So one of my boys, P, called and said he wanted to go out and play tennis with me and W. Now, I was on the tennis team in highschool, but that was 10 frickin years ago, and my skills are more than a bit rusty. I was definitely very concerned about embarrassing the crap out of myself. But it sounded like fun, so we got it all arranged and so today at high noon we met at the local tennis courts.

Then the fun really started. P and me were the only ones there for the first hour. We had a good time rallying back and forth, definitely getting sweaty running around the court. Which technically if you are both good, you shouldn't have to do all that much running if you are just rallying, so our significant level of activity and sweat indicated that perhaps both of us were not as good as we could be. However, we were having a good time, and P assures me that although I am not amazingly skilled nor have the power of a male partner, that he was having fun. And I think I can say with some confidence that we had some pretty good rallying and we each hit some pretty terrible shots as well. Then MM showed up with his complete BS about having never played tennis before and blah blah, and of course basically kicked the crap out of Paul and I. And he was wearing flipflops. And he had his 18month old daughter there that he had to watch. Which was kind of amusing because P seemed to have mentally drawn a target on her because almost every one of his shots almost hit her. Good news is: no one got hurt. Oh wait, I did. Like when a shot of W's bounced off the fence and hit my neck, and when I hit a ball and it bounced funny and hit my own head. That's right folks, I hit my own dang head. Reminds me of the days when I hit my own tennis partner in the back with a tennis ball (sorry Hels!). Which then only reminds me of so many other hilarious moments from LHS tennis. So, so many. But I digress. Then W showed up and despite all his claims to have previously played alot and well, he showed his real skill level. Which was hilariously not great!!! Although he did show improvement as time went on in the day.

There was so much trash talking, bad ball hitting, ridiculous laughing, and some sweet shots thrown in that made it some of the most fun couple of hours I have had in a long time. And so very much needed at this point in my life. I was sweaty, tired, sunburned, and I have a gnarly blister on my thumb, but all of that was totally worth just the pure and simple fun that was had today. And the great thing is that they want to do it again next week! :)

2 comments:

Karyn said...

hitting tennis balls sounds like fun right now... and a good stress reliever.

Helena said...

This post totally makes me laugh. You hit a ball that hit your own head? That's talent. It sounds like you had the kind of fun time that you and I have had SO many times playing tennis. Did I tell you I'm signed up to take a Saturday morning tennis class in the fall?